Logo

1979johnson 25 hp lower unit

josh

Contributing Member
thos lower unit is slipping o

thos lower unit is slipping out of gear and if i tear it down and find it is the shifter do and not the foward gear can i turn the shifhter dog around to have it slip in reverse instead of foward will this work? thanks josh

"Josh... No, you can't do

"Josh... No, you can't do that. That clutch shifter dog is designed in such a way that, although you may not be able to see the difference, there is a difference in the forward and rear lobes. If you had a brand new shifter dog and put it in backwards.... it would jump out of gear very quickly!

Due to the fact that this difference is almost impossible to see, OMC has designed the shifter dog with a "Groove" around one end of it so that one can see which end is which. That "Groove" MUST FACE forward gear!

Inspect that forward gear closely. Those lobes do not need to be worn off drastically at the edges, just worn! If they're rounded off ever so slightly, that will be enough to damage the new clutch dog.... and you'll be right back where you started.

Joe
"

" I have a 1975 15hp johnson I

" I have a 1975 15hp johnson I bought cheap at a auction. I had to replace the bottom bearing carrier by the prop. The ears where you screw it on were broke off, most likely from water freezing in the lower unit . How do I make sure the lower unit is good and wont get water in it again< "

Back