Logo

1979 Tower of Power 115hp (Serial 5241955) outboard Tilt/Trim Motor Replacement

1966-198* standard 4 hose unit, it could be dirty contacts or worn out brushes or solenoid contactspowertrimpump.jpgalso the switches could be corroded and not making good contact. If you can - hook up a wire on the case (negative) then one on the blue or green wire (positive) the motor should spin. If it doesn't spin you have nothing to lose taking it apart, 2 long bolts hold it to the pump body and watch out for a small ball at the top of the armature, don't misplace it.

Last edited:
Hey Quicksilver,

I will give that shot this week. When you say "case" where do i put the wire to? Also is there some specific oil or documentation you know of to service this thing if it does spin? Right now it has a leak from the bottom next to the hoses although I don't think it is coming from the hoses itself.

Thanks,
Jake

The case of the motor [Nr. 12 on the parts diagram] is grounded thru the bolt 17, (actually the whole unit is negative ground), don't take the control valve assembly apart to replace O-rings - any leaking O-rings will show up when the pump operates and they are between the pump unit and the control valve. The hose might be loose which causes leaks - all you have to do is tighten it, the gasket (5) might be damaged which will cause leakage too. If the motor does spin the cylinders (rams) have to be bledpower-trim-bleedingsmall.jpg

Last edited:
Back