Logo

1979 johnson 35hp cant get the lower unit off HELP

"I have a electric start 1979

"I have a electric start 1979 Johnson 35hp, with remote controls not that that prob matters, but thought Id throw it out there.
Ive searched the forum for similar issues, found some that were close but all of them just had not removed the shifter screws in the exhaust access panel or the water panels, I have a book, and did just as the book said, and anything Ive seen here.. but about 1/2 to 3/4 inch is a far as the *@@$@!*! thing will come off.

My Clutch Dog is bad, wont stay in gear, will if you dont give it much gas .. and I think its completely gone now ..I was wondering if this had any thing to do with it .. it acts like its stuck on the drive shaft from the head, or possibly water tube ? I have all 4 screws and the nut off of the back, the gear shift screw is out, Tried prying with 2 screw drivers , but don't want to break the aluminum housing prying too hard. Ive pried pretty dang hard, shacking it jerking it .. nothing There has to be some freaking answer to why this thing wont come off my 85 Erude 150 was a breeze

Please Help
Thanx in advance"

"IF U have disc shifter conn,h

"IF U have disc shifter conn,have all bolts out,..then ,it is jut hanging up,on the shift rod,due to the clamping action,of the conn...yank the ....heck,.out of it..."

"I just jerked it so hard I pu

"I just jerked it so hard I pulled the boat back 5 feet, tried prying again, bent the lil wing a tad on the side .. Does need to be in neutral or forward, Ive tried forward and neutral, unless the clutch dog is hanging ? when I wiggle left or right on the lower unit the fly wheel moves with the lower unit"

"dont jerk,..'back'..j

"dont jerk,..'back'..jerk DOWN...trying to pull it free..in line w/shaft.bub,u r not doing somethig right...unless the d sahft is coroded in crank."

Back