Logo

1979 Gearcase Part Identification Help

Sam Blackshaw

Hi guys,

I am new to your forums and this is my first post. I can't figure out what this part on the outside of my gearcase is for. I have looked and researched alot about it, but haven't found anything helpful, so I am making a post about it hoping someone can help me identify this part and its purpose. It looks like a spot for a vacuum line to plug into. It is located on the front of the gear case pointing up towards the powerhead. I am changing the oil seals in the lower unit, because water has been mixing with my gear oil. This part looks like it could allow water inside the unit. Should I just plug it off? I am sure it ls not a grease cert. Any info about this is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
If there is a small hole somewhere on the front of the lower unit between that fitting and the bottom of the unit, that would be a fitting for a hose to operate a speedometer. The passageway between the two holes would not approach the inner gearcase itself.

I'm glad that you described exactly where that fitting is as the picture appears to be upside down and I had no idea what I was looking at.

I agree, speedometer pitot. You probably ought to cap or plug it if not using a speedometer. Otherwise, water will squirt up out of it. not that it would be a problem (?)

Thank you guys. It does have a hole down below it as described. I would have never guessed it was an old speedometer! The picture is upside down, sorry about that.

That's a later model unit as 79 did not have pitot to my knowledge.....

This is the problem.. my powerhead is a 79 on a 78 frame and I cant figure out exactly what year my lower unit is, i am pretty sure it is 1985 or newer. Any idea when they started with these type of speedos?

Last edited:
I looked through my parts books clear up to when I retired 1991/92... I see no mention of that gearcase speedometer setup... very strange.

Back