Logo

1979 evinrude doing funny things

The battery is used only to crank the engine over. The ignition is self contained... "Magneto Capacitance Discharge" ignition system. Notice the word "Magneto" in that description? There is no voltage draw (from the engine) from the battery after the engine starts and is running.

If using portable fuel tanks, DO NOT put the oil in first as this will get shoved up the fuel intake tube and find its way to the carburetor (smoke smoke smoke!). Always put in a gallon of gas, then the oil, then the rest of the gas.

Yep, typically they are easy to access and are flatheads. It's basically a long, thin cone on the end of a screw. Thread it in to restrict flow and out to increase

So as I laid in bed not sleeping but rather pouring over everything I could possible think of with this engine I had a thought and would like some input

when I had the carbs off I noticed that there is no tension on the choke butterflies whatsoever. They just move freely, to the extent when I tip the carbs one way or another they will just fall closed/open. I am wondering if when it’s running it is sucking the butterflies closed due to there being no friction to hole them in place. Is this something anyone has experienced or seen happen before?

Would you like to answer my question about your engine's model number, or are the only important questions yours?

I have answered that question already so I thought you were asking the gentleman with the other engine. Model number 115999R

Sorry Rick.... I was asking the other fellow with the 75hp. A poor choice of words. My apologies for the manner in which I asked the question.

The choke butterfly mention..... Those butterflies have always been held in place by the linkages via the choke solenoid and the lever assembly on the other side of the carburetor. The venturi vacuum would not affect them.

EDIT:... Rick, when you get a chance, think the problem thru then give us an update of exactly what the engine is doing and not doing now, with a fresh compression list.... is the spark still jumping a 7/16" gap, etc.

Last edited:
Sorry Rick.... I was asking the other fellow with the 75hp. A poor choice of words. My apologies for the manner in which I asked the question.

The choke butterfly mention..... Those butterflies have always been held in place by the linkages via the choke solenoid and the lever assembly on the other side of the carburetor. The venturi vacuum would not affect them.

EDIT:... Rick, when you get a chance, think the problem thru then give us an update of exactly what the engine is doing and not doing now, with a fresh compression list.... is the spark still jumping a 7/16" gap, etc.
So I took it out today. It is jumping 7/16” gap on spark and compression is still 100 across all 4 cylinders. When I try to accelerate it is dumping fuel out of the carburetors into the air box? Not sure what would cause this?

So I took it out today. It is jumping 7/16” gap on spark and compression is still 100 across all 4 cylinders. When I try to accelerate it is dumping fuel out of the carburetors into the air box? Not sure what would cause this?

Then the carburetors should flood out when the fuel primer bulb is pumped up hard.... Do they?

Actually yes they do. I squeezed the primer bulb and it sprayed fuel out of the carbs. And also the primer bulb never actually pumps up to get hard
Either your needle valves or seats in the carbs are worn or you don't have the float level set properly. When squeezing the primer you should eventually reach a point where the fuel bowls are full and nothing runs out into the carb throats.

KJ

Actually yes they do. I squeezed the primer bulb and it sprayed fuel out of the carbs. And also the primer bulb never actually pumps up to get hard

Always possible the floats are on upside down (it happens)... check them.
(Carburetor Float Setting)
(J. Reeves)

With the carburetor body held upside down, the float being viewed from the side, adjust the float so that the free end of the float (the end opposite the hinge pin) is ever so slightly higher (just ever so slightly off level) than the other end. And when viewed from the end, make sure it is not cocked.

Always possible the floats are on upside down (it happens)... check them.
(Carburetor Float Setting)
(J. Reeves)

With the carburetor body held upside down, the float being viewed from the side, adjust the float so that the free end of the float (the end opposite the hinge pin) is ever so slightly higher (just ever so slightly off level) than the other end. And when viewed from the end, make sure it is not cocked.
Thanks. I also ordered a complete carb rebuild kit so i can just rebuild it while I’m in there

Back