Logo

1979 70 hp Johnson outboard RPMs

snospdr

I am trying to figure out the

I am trying to figure out the correct RPM range on this outboard I purchased recently. The idle was way off and I'm wondering if the maximum RPM needs adjusting as well. At full throttle it registers 3000 rpm's. Can anyone help?
Paul

"Hey Paul with the right prop

"Hey Paul with the right prop and a good tuned engine, you should be seeing 4800-5400 rpm at full throttle"

"Compression should be approxi

"Compression should be approximately 100+ psi and even on all cylinders. Is it?

With s/plugs removed, spark should jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame... a real SNAP! Does it?

S/Plugs should be Champion QL77JC4 plugs, gapped at .040. Are they?

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

"i would say,u r down,on 1 cyl

"i would say,u r down,on 1 cyl,..or the carbs r dirty.that,is an excellent eng,and,an excellent eng to rebuild....keep those carbs clean,run seafoam,..keep new plugs in it,keep a good wtr pump in it...excellent pwr to weight ratio..one of my favorites..use an inline fuel filter,AFTER u have found,the prob..spin the prop,shift into forward,w/eng OFF,look up under flywheel to see that timer base,..is advancing,to its,'stop'..and carb butterflies,are fully open."

Back