Logo

1979 35HP shifting issue

Wayne S

I bought this outboard last year. when I put it on the boat this year the first time I took it out I found it needed a clutch dog. Although I have pretty good mechanical ability I have no experience with outboards. I watched a couple videos finally found a new clutch dog and put it all back together. Now it is worse then before. I cannot shift it into forward gear except by hand and then it won't stay. Everything seemed right to me but again no experience.

The cables will not move far enough to shift it into gear. If I disconnect the cable I am able to shift it in but it comes right out. I have to move it along way to get it to shift into gear. I have to shift it past where it should sit in the shift lever lock (shift lock lever, not sure).

someone on another forum told me that with this shift rod I just turn it all the way down, no measurement for height. When I put the lower unit back on I have to have everything in reverse. In any other gear I cannot get to the bolt on the top of the brass connector. I have been putting it in with the connector on the loser section of shift rod. Could that be making a difference? Have i been making so stupid of a mistake. Of course I hope that is what it is.

any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Attachments

• 20210924_095341.jpg
    20210924_095341.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 12
The notches in the upper and lower shift rods MUST line up with the holes in the brass connector.-----They must line up before you put the bolt in.----And therefor there is no adjustment feature at that connector.

The notches in the upper and lower shift rods MUST line up with the holes in the brass connector.-----They must line up before you put the bolt in.----And therefor there is no adjustment feature at that connector.

Thanks racerone, unfortunately that is what I was afraid of. Both notches were position so that I would be able to put the bolt in and then the rod would not be able to come apart. I figured that was the way, but since I am so lost I was hoping I was missing something there. Thanks

Ok, so today I focused on the coupler that joins the upper and lower shift rod. When I pushed the upper shift rod in the little grove seemed to be very worn almost like the screw would not be able to hold it in place. But I put them together and tightened real good. All seemed fine until i went to the river to test it. Went into forward fine as I started to get up on plane it popped right out and would not go back in. I brought the boat home and noticed the shift rod was 1/4 to 3/8's pulled out. I had marked it with a scratch awl when I put it together before. I feel like it is the shift rod being too worn and I can't get it to hold in place. I can't find a video on replacing the upper shift rod. How involved is this? Or could I be way off base here? Thanks

Back