Logo

1979 35hp johnson

Possible bad adjustment or worn clutch dog and forward gear.------------A new to you motor ?

This is a new motor to me . It runs great and shifts in and out of forward reverse and netural. But when you take off just before you start to plan out it tries to kick back to neutral. I unhooked the shift cable and tried it and it goes back in neutral

There are adjustments to check.----Difficult to explain those here without pictures.----Manual would be needed.-----Good idea to take lower unit apart to inspect clutch dog and forward gear.

Look closely at the shift lock mechanism on the side of the powerhead. With the engine not running put the throttle at slow and shift gears while spinning the prop. Watch the shift lock lever and the detent pin on the shift handle. Put it in euutral where the prop spins in both directions and look at the detent pin must be center of the shift lock lever. Then shift it into forward and reverse while spinning the prop and the detent must be center of the perspective notch on the shift lock lever. It is possible the coupler for the shift rods was not installed properly so it is shifting fully into reverse but not fully into forward.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/0322233-322...ash=item33c7e6bfd5:g:W6UAAOSw-0xYk2lr&vxp=mtr
Adjust the handle so when you shift into reverse and loosen the bolt on the bottom of the shift handle then push the handle so the pin is all the set into the reverse notch on the shift lock lever and the tighten the bolt and then confirm it is in neutral the prop spins free and the pin goes all the way in the forward notch on the shift lock lever. You need to spin the prop when shifting and the engine is not running.

All very good, and certainly the first things to check. Maybe you will get lucky. But then when you get into the real world, the clutch dog and forward gear are worn out.

Any outboard specific hypoid gear oil will do. You should be able to find it at walmart or your local auto part store. fill from the bottom until it comes out the vent hole on top then put the plug in on top and quickly put in the lower plug. Did you replace the nylon washers for the plugs? Now is the right time.

Any outboard specific hypoid gear oil will do. You should be able to find it at walmart or your local auto part store. fill from the bottom until it comes out the vent hole on top then put the plug in on top and quickly put in the lower plug. Did you replace the nylon washers for the plugs? Now is the right time.

Ok I put me a new lower unit on my motor and I doesn't kick out of gear now that part is fixed I think But now when you run wide open it makes a clinging noise sounds like something hiting the fly wheel you Can back off and it goes away any ideals what it might be

Pull the rewind starter and check the pawl is working correct sounds like it may be not returning to the retracted position all the way when the rope returns.

Back