Logo

1978 Thunderbolt 800

Harleyhopper

Hey! New to the forum and new to Mercury outboards. Use to have a boat in the 80’s but nothing since then. I am building a Glen-L boat and was needing a motor. I was given this motor. It has not run in a while. This motor needed both the boat and motor wiring harnesses. The stator wires were also crumbling. The coil to control box wires were crumbling. The trigger harness had 2001 on it so it had been changed out. I have never seen wires corroded this bad.
What I have changed is the motor harness, the stator, coil to control box harness. Cleaned and replaced fuel pump gaskets, cleaned and replaced carb gaskets. I got a new rectifier but could not remove one of the hold down screws so I will try the existing one. I have drained but not replaced gear lube. No water found.
What still needs to be done is wire the boat side harness, replace the 4 plug wires, water pump impeller. Replace gear lube.
The question I have is the linkage that controls the carb. I have been careful to take pics before removing anything for future reference and I also have a service manual. When I bolted the 2 carbs back on, there is no movement of the control arm by way of the throttle arm. I can not find anything in the manual concerning the linkage. The choke linkage is a no brainer. Any help would be appreciated. Maybe someone could take a pic of their carbs??? I have a pic of the top of the top carb but I don’t know how to post it. THanks, Steve

Mercsonl6 you tube has a lot of vids on those ole girls
Thank you XS Power. He does have a lot of interesting videos. This one shows what I was trying to explain
https://youtu.be/AEbx3R5lZNI
not having any knowledge of this motor’s running or tuning, I don’t know how the adjustments are. In this video of the stop screws, you’ll notice Mr Sons #5 adjustment on top of the carbs that adjust the butterflies.. on mine, the throttle cam from the arm with all the stop screws is not touching the butterfly thing. Something is out of adjustment. Steve

Back