Logo

1978 Johnson six horse won’t turn over

oldarmy247

Howdy guys I have just bought and way overpaid for a non running six horse and still can't get the thing to run. Going to be honest I have about the 500 I paid for the thing and about 200 in parts in this motor already and I am a bit at a loss. When I first picked it up it didn't run and the man I purchased it from said it just needed a carb rebuild, I managed to get that done but the motor still would not turn over.
I the idiot that I am got it in my head that it must be an issue with the fuel pump so I went ahead and replaced that of course that did nothing. There is gas in the carb bowl and I am fairly certain it has good compression not sure exactly how to test that though. There is also spark in both of the plugs but I can't get it to fire for ****.
To be completely honest I am pot commuted to this motor and I am about to take it to a local mechanic to see what he thinks. Any recommendations on a best course of action here?

You need to be clear.----You say it won't turn over.-----But actually you mean it won't start I think.-----So switch plug wires ( or remove coils and remount top to the bottom ) and see what that does.-------These are elegantly simple and reliable motors.----Made from about 1955 to 79.-----Install a new impeller before your first trip away from the dock.-----I own more than one example !

Last edited:
If one plug wire has a small metal clip on it, that wire goes to the top plug. Assuming as you said it has spark, remove the plugs and squirt a little carb cleaner (not ether) reconnect plugs and wires, then try it again. If it runs, your problem is fuel delivery. As stated above, these engines are simple and reliable.

Back