Logo

1978 Johnson 85 hp - won't run over 3000 rpm

if it seems to be getting fuel.
do a compression test on the engine let us know what the results are
and also check if it has a strong spark

I have already checked the compression at 115,115,111,113 and cleaned the carbs. I should have said that earilier. Sorry - will check the spark tomorrow. Thanks

it must be your spark then if you have good compression and your engine is getting fuel let us know how the spark is tommorow!

it could be many things but now you have narrowed it down to it being the spark.

i am not sure if it could be the power pack, if it was the power pack i would think it would have no spark on all 4 cylinders?
hopefully someone can help us out on this one. test your power pack and see what happens.

i have 2 power packs, one on each side. I'm guesing that is why I have fire on one side. I went ahead and ordered the power pack and it will be here tommorrow. I'll put it on and let you know. Thanks

i am having this same problem with my 225hp 89 looper. replaced the spark plugs, powerpack, voltage regulator, stator, stator tower and bearing assembly, and removed the vro system. even after all the new stuff, still getting less than 3000 rpm. getting spark on all 6 cyclinders and the compression is great. any ideas?

I am having similiar problem with a 135hp. I have checked everything compression is 120, 119,120,120. Got excellent spark on all cylinders and good fuel. runs perfect other than can not get but 4000 RPMs out it even when trimmed out. We did find some exhaust bafflesin it when we rebuilt it. Are they suppose to be in it? We put them back in it but could they be the problem? We are unable to find them on any parts list or in no manual.

To Andrew: Is the motor overheating? If so, the powerpack limits the RPM to 2500 so you don't cook the powerhead. If its not overheating, I would suspect a fuel/carb issue. This assumes the link/sync and timing have been set correctly.

Back