Logo

1978 Formula restore thoughts?

tmantiller

Hi all!
I have a 1978 Thunderbird Formula I got on a trade a couple years ago. Looking to now fix it up. Trying to decide what to do with the engine. When I traded for the guy told me it ran for him but had been a few years. I've done cars but this will be my first boat project. I pulled it out a few months back and it turns over, and after a bit of trying, got intermittent spark. Went to then change the points as they were toast.

I don't want to just change the points out and then have another issue come up when I'm on the water so considering a complete rebuild or replace of the engine. Plus when inspecting it, found a missing freeze plug which I know could indicate a cracked block. I don't want to just replace the points to find the whole engine is shot.

Trying to think through my options to determine what's best. Options I'm considering are just replace points, get it running and hope for the best, rebuild this current engine, or replace with an auto engine. Replacing with a new or already rebuilt marine engine is a bit out of the price range so not considering that.

I'm used to cars, but I don't know what I don't know on this project. Open to thoughts from guys who have been down this road.

From my research on using an engine out of a car/truck you have to swap out cams, and make sure all items with spark are contained and correct parts are used there. Also, possible wrong rotation issues. Outside of that, anything to think through? Will that been a money saver in the end? Will the water cooling system bolt up or will there be some conversion there? I'm seeing guys saying both ways... do it, and don't do it.

What would you do/consider if this was your project? Looking for wisdom from guys who have been down this road.

Engine is a 240hp OMC with a stern drive

Last edited:
By posting to this duplicate thread, we are essentially keeping it in the forefront, when we could actually just flag it, and let the mods delete it.

By posting to this duplicate thread, we are essentially keeping it in the forefront, when we could actually just flag it, and let the mods delete it.

Or We could leave it alone as We usually do, 'n let it sink into the archives,....

boobie is just boostin' his post count,..... :)

Back