Logo

1978 80 HP 4 cyl mercury not starting....Help.

kirkcb

Hello All.... Need some help. Unable to get my 80HP 1978 started. I had it running 2 days ago but idle was low and tinkered with screws. It turns over strong and just about catches but then turns into a whining sound where I have to disengage the key and attempt again but with the same results. I did get it running only once since the 2 days ago but it eventually just bogged out even at a higher RPM idle. Carb has been rebuilt and compression is good. Plugs are good along with gas. My usual startup attempt is priming bulb until hard, throttle 1" past indent, choke, then turn key. Currently my 2 mixture screws are 1/8 CCW loose from a light seat. I also tinkered with the idle stop screw, throttle stop screw and spark stop screw but are now in their original (when it started position). Just to make sure though....where exactly should all these be......or even if off, would this be preventing the motor from firing up? I'm almost convinced this a fuel problem....not getting enough or something. When trying to start and motor turning over, with butterfly's almost completey open for air, it still won't start. Every so often the prime bulb gets soft on me and I re-prime but am I flooding the carb? Any ideas? I feel like I 'm almost there getting it going but at the same time ready to give up and take it somewhere. Thanks for any help.

Frustrated and want to fish.

Back