Logo

1978 35 Johnson, no spark.

Tucker2

Engine took us to fishing grounds but failed after about10 sec, on restart. No spark on either cylinde, I changed the power pack, no change. Don’t know where to go from there. Do I need to pull the top off?
thanks.

Have you checked the kill switch is not grounding it out or If you have safety lanyard same again.. have you checked the engine grounds too non come off or corroded through. I have a 1976 20 fast twin think same engine.. you got electric start and the wiring as my original wiring loom as soo bad I removed it and fitted a engine start button on the motor?

The 76 was the last of the 22 cu in I think. Probably a better motor in my opinion. Nicks suggestions are good.

Just got a beautiful 18 at the Thursday auction. Nobody even bid on it. Most people want newer 4 strokes now I guess. Not for me....I need to carry around my motors. Only 70 pounds, still light for this old bushman.

I pulled the ground wire from the motor early in my search. I have a star washer under the ground wire for the new power pack.
Question: some things I have read tell me to pull the “ wire from the coil plug to make sure the kill switch is neutralized. Can I do that? It goes against my natural instincts.

Where do you get the power pack? Is it a used one? I put a used one that was good when I removed it....it sat in a bag 5 years....tried it, yup you guessed it.

I bought the power pack new. If I pull the ground wire from the kill switch to the engine case, doesn’t this isolate the kill circuit? I shouldn’t have to pull the wire from the plug?! Redundant.

Back