Logo

1977 Thunderbolt 500, throttle cable slipping off while on the water

hotrod53

Contributing Member
I switched cables last year and twice since the throttle cable has come off while under power. The pin that has the roll pin through it, slips out of the black barrel adjuster. Am I missing a keeper or something:

Attachments

• throttle cable1.jpg
    throttle cable1.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 48
I don't remember the throttle position when it happened the first time, but this time I was at full throttle and holding steady when it came off. I guess the best place to start is to put it at full throttle I'm my driveway and see what it looks like as far as the pin and the slot lining up.

???----Have you rotated the lock thingy as already mentioned?---You have not finished the installation of these cables.----Rotate those levers.

I'll have to look closer. I did not install the cable, it was done by a friend whose family owns a boat dealership. So you're saying to flip those black levers down rather than the position that they're in?

I switched cables last year and twice since the throttle cable has come off while under power. The pin that has the roll pin through it, slips out of the black barrel adjuster. Am I missing a keeper or something:
hotrod53 If that is the position they are in now, it looks just like my 1977 500. Mine are not giving me problems. They did come off but a Merc Mechanic adjusted them elsewhere.

Back