Logo

1977 Shift Plate Upgrade

gjohnson

I have a 1977 Mercruiser inline 6 cylinder 165 hp engine. I am trying to upgrade the shift plate that will work with this set up. This is a link to what I have https://www.2040-parts.com/_content/items/images/94/2231694/001.jpg Thought Mercury part number AP034657508 was the right part for all alpha 1 gen 1 engine/stern drives. Apparently not. It does not have the trim tab control line control that connect to the swing arm on the switch plate. Any one know which upgraded electronic switch plate will work with this setup. Thanks.

I dont believe there is just a shift plate upgrade for that system.

If I see it correctly you have a reverse lock out and if you have a trim sender which looks like a mini trim ram i am not sure what to do to replace that.

The only way to upgrade it properly would be a lot of parts replacement.

Newer style Trim pump with dual solenoids, (eliminates reverse lock out as new trim pumps have that within the internal valving within the pump) also relocating trim pump wiring thru solenoid vs direct to pump motor.

Install trim sender on outdrive if possible. But if hinge pins are pins at gimbal ring and not 12 point socket head screws then you cannot use newer trim sender.

The only way you you may be able to replace is to buy a good used shift plate if you can find one...

Another alternative is to get a Alpha 1 valve cover with the shift plate that's attached to the cover.
No, that is not an alturnative.

His old system is not compatible with Alpha system without many upgrades.

It is not plug and play.

Back