Logo

1977 mercury black max 175 hp not peeing well#2

E

ED smith

thank you all for all of the

thank you all for all of the advice and Ill try the suggestions. The water pump would move water when the boat was going (20-65 mph)but not when the speed got below 15 mph. (like in a no wake zone at a idle it would just kinda spit)But the moter never ran hot. At speed the psi gauge runs at 20 to 30 psi at a idle its 0-5 psi dose this sound like the pump? or a clog?

" ED,

The engine shoul

" ED,

The engine should pee with a steady stream allways, having it dribble at low speed is not right. My guess, is that you have a problem with the pump, that it's been run dry and burned up or damaged somehow; it still could be a clog though. Either way, removing that lower unit and inspecting the pump is in order.

Jon "

" Hi,

The rubber vanes of t

" Hi,

The rubber vanes of the impellor will take a 'set' if left in one position very long. I took one out of my '66 1100 last year and it still is bent over. Replace the impellor, gaskets and lower unit fluid. Get the Mercury parts since they aren't that much more expensive than the aftermarket ones. Get a service manual and change it out every couple of years. More if you run in sandy areas.

Cheap insurance...

Kirk "

" My 1984 Black Max 150 went t

" My 1984 Black Max 150 went through the same scenario.
Check the thermostats. Mine were clogged with Eel grass. After cleaning, problem solved.
PS. While you have the t.stats out take a hose and flush the block through the t.stat housing. "

Back