Logo

1977 Johnson 75HP

J

John Lassen

I have a 1977 Johnson 75HP ou

I have a 1977 Johnson 75HP outboard. When trying to start the motor I choke it and notice that gas I coming out of the air filter box out of the carburetors. I just bought the boat and think that the carburetors need to be rebuilt and cleaned out. Also when I do get the boat started it reeves fine but when I put it in gear it does not have the power it should. I have noticed that there is a fuel leak around the clasp on the fuel line that goes to the motor. Just wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions where to start first.
Thanks

A compression test is the FIR

A compression test is the FIRST thing to do when trouble shooting a motor.All motors will rev up in nuetral and it does not indicate anything.Check to see if there is a spark of at least 3/8" at each sparkplug.

" If gas is coming out of the

" If gas is coming out of the carbs, it usually means that the fuel pump is working, but that there is trouble with the float or needle valve in the carberator. If this is indeed the problem, then there should also be quite a bit of gas/oil coming out of the exhaust (it will form a film on top of the water near the exhaust which will usually produce rainbow colors). "

Back