Logo

1977 Johnson 140 boggs down wih load

A

Anonymous

" 1977 Johnson 140 works fine

" 1977 Johnson 140 works fine in neutral, but when placed in gear it boggs down often stalls
has new coils "

"If you have good compression

"If you have good compression (approx 100lb on all cyls) and spark that will jump a 7/16" gap on all cyls.... a rough guess with so little to go on would be one of two things, or both: Your carburetors are fouled, causing the engine to run lean. The timer base under the flywheel is sticking and when throttle is applied, the spark is staying in a retarded position. That's the two most common causes that would result in that type problem. (Joe - 30+ years with OMC)"

" I neglected to state, the en

" I neglected to state, the engine works just fine out of the water in gear but when under the load of the water it boggs down in gear. "

" Thank You, Joe Reeves for yo

" Thank You, Joe Reeves for your promt response. "

"2 things, clean your carbs, 2

"2 things, clean your carbs, 2nd check the fly wheel. also, take your prop off, and check behind it, and your thrust washer might need to be replaced. also if its air cooled, check your pump, it may be off the air intake, and may be sucking up water from in the shaft. also, when it bogs down, run it slowly faster, until u can get it to rev high and start to work, once you do that, burn it as hard as you can, it will burn all build up in your cylinders. and do a rapid driection change once and a while like, turn left, and crank to the right, it will rev high and wont move for a second, then the prop will bite the water and you wil move again. oh another thing, check your gas tank, if no air is able to get in through, suction willbuild up and cause that, when in idle it wont need as much gas, causing less suction in the tank, gas is like pepsi, the rocking of the waves will make it fizz up and the pressure wont let it take in any fuel. hope this helps, my family runs a marina in Coldwater Michigan, so ahve anymore questions
e-mail me at [email protected]
or icq at 34995163"

" Thank-you Mr Rafferty. My f

" Thank-you Mr Rafferty. My friend has a similar problem with his boat, but he won't listen to me when I say to open her up and run a tank of gas through the engine. He's afraid of "throwing a rod." I'm going to print this out for him to read. "

"David.... I advise very stron

"David.... I advise very strongly NOT to run a tank of fuel through any engine when it is not running properly, especially at a high rpm. As your friend states..... it is a excellent way of having a connecting rod come flying through the side of the engine.

Joe
"

Back