Logo

1977 Evinrude 85hp

J

John Horton

" Joe,

The core plug next t

" Joe,

The core plug next to the head gasket, is that the black cylinder shaped thing with wires running to and from it that is mounted to the block on top of the motor just above the heads? And if so, do I have to remove that to see the model number? The guy I bought this from mounted an 85hp on a 75hp 3 cylinder transom. Sorry for being so ignorant, this is my first boat and the first time I have ever looked under the cover of a motor. I and trying to learn what all the parts are called and what they look like. The piece I am referring to, there are 2 on top of the back side of the motor just above the heads. Is that it?

John "

"John.... I believe that you&#

"John.... I believe that you're talking of the coils that have a plug wire leading to the spark plugs. The coils are mounted on a bracket that bolts on top of the powerhead (block). There would be four (4) coils altogether.

The core plug would look like a small quarter size automotive like freeze out plug. You will need to move that coil support bracket out of the way to see that core plug.

Joe
"

Back