Logo

1977 Evinrude 85 hp

J

John Horton

" For Joe or anyone of like wi

" For Joe or anyone of like wisdom. I am a new boat owner and this is actually the first boat I've ever owned. I live in Ft. Myers Florida, and I went out last Tuesday in the salt water and got stuck on a sand bar. While trying to get unstuck, I accidentally tilted the motor out of the water while it was at about 1/2 throttle. Shortly after that the motor overheated(understandibly so)and the shut off on its own. I sat for 3 hours and let the motor cool while I was fishing. After that time, I tried to restart the motor, and could not start it. It would turn over, but just would not start. Two days later, after much choking of the motor, it started(out of the water) and I left the fast idle on for about 3-5 minutes to warm up the motor, and when I took it back down to regular idle, it ran ok. When I put it in gear it shut off. Do you have any idea why it took so much choke to start it, and why it shut off on its own. Also the sticker with the model and serial number are worn off. Would there be anywhere else on the motor these numbers would be? Please respond ASAP....I have a bass fishing tournament coming up Nov. 3. "

" John, is it still pumping wa

" John, is it still pumping water? Sounds like you may have burned up the water pump impeller causing it to overheat. Hopefully this did not cause any major damage, may want to do a compresion check. "

"John.... In agreement with St

"John.... In agreement with Steve, I would assume that the engine overheated bad. The 1977 85hp model is not designed to shut down on its own, therefore it sounds like you let the engine overheat to a point whereas it got hot enough to have the pistons seize against the cylinder walls.

Your engine should have a warning system (horn) that would sound off long before the engine got hot enough to do that kind of damage.

As Steve suggested, do a compression check. The readings should be approximately 100+ psi and even on all cylinders. You may be lucky and find that you've simply blew a head gasket(s). Note that the head bolt torque is 18 to 20 foot pounds.

With the s/plugs removed, check the spark. It should jump a 7/16" gap at cranking speed with a strong blue flame.

Do not simply install a impeller.... install the complete water pump kit which includes the housing and all pump components. Good luck...

Joe
"

" Joe or Steve,

We took off

" Joe or Steve,

We took off the heads and am getting them trued down.....on 1 side there was about 1/16 drop on the inside....also there were 2 places on the head gasket about as big as a dime that I could see thru(how funny). We did this after a compression test was done because all 4 cylinders came out around 65-70 lbs of pressure. Also checked the pistons and rings and luckily all that was good. I am also getting a whole water pump assembly kit, however I looked on the port side of the block and could not find the model number. The guy I got it from put an 85hp on an 75hp transom, so the model and serial on the transom are no good. Can you tell me possibly exactly where on the block the model number would be. I want to make sure when I get the parts that I get them for the correct motor, or are the 3 model 85 hp's made in 1977 pretty much the same and interchangeable? I see what appears to be part numbers cast into all the parts on the motor.....would I possibly be able to find out what model it is if I went to a parts store with a couple of those numbers? And if so which part numbers should I focus on that would be specific for only this model? "

Back