Logo

1977 evinrude 25hp won’t pull start with spark plugs in

Liko25

I have a 1977 evinrude 25 hp, I’ve only had it about 6 month and ran it a few times and it ran good until I took it out a few months ago and my friend pulled the starter rope out all the way with it in gear and throttled up. I took the starter off fixed the recoil mechanism all that. Now when I got to pull it it it will barley move if I give it a good pull it feels like compression pushing back and will slip. if I take the starter rope off and crank it with a ratchet slowly it will move but it feel like it’s slipping. If I take the spark plugs out it will crank fine.

I’ve seen people say it’s just a hard engine to start but it should not be this hard especially with the resistance fighting back on me

I replaced all the main gaskets on the engine,

rebuilt the pull starter, rebuilt the carb. I checked the cylinders they look good same with the pistons, piston rigs hiss a little but I think that’s normal for a 2 stoke nothing blocking the intake ports or exhaust ports.

I don’t know what it could be if anyone knows or has a thought let me know thanks.

I'll bet racer nailed it. "Slipping" is flywheel spinning on crankshaft because nut was not properly torqued and key has sheared. Hard to pull because flywheel/starter is not timed with compression strokes.

I replaced the key, but while I had the fly wheel off I cranked the crank shaft and it’s still doing the same thing if I crank it fast enough it will crank the ratchet a few clicks. This is with the spark plugs in. Any thoughts on what it is ?

So you replaced the key. Why? Was it broken? Maybe the new one sheared also. Did you properly reinstall and torque the flywheel? Are the tapers and key slots buggered up? If that stuff is not right, it will continue to shear keys. You are there to look and see, we aren't.

Back