Logo

1977 35 HP Won't start..Advise please

Peter_Sydney

Hi Everyone,
I'm Peter, an amateur seeking assistance please.

My son & I were given a 35hp Evinrude that had not been started for 8+ years,
(I thought it would be a good project for some dad & son bonding).
The motor would not turnover because the rings had rusted to the cylinder walls.

We stripped down the motor, removed the pistons & cleaned it all up. Replaced the gaskets & re-assembled it all, only section I didn't pull apart was the Bypass Cover.
(Thanks for the helpful diagrams & posts everyone).

Once re-assembled, we had no spark on either plug(already installed new plugs), so replaced the Power Pack, which fixed the spark problem.
Also got a new fuel tank & lead.

We don't have the gear to check compression, however the the motor turns freely with the plugs out, but is difficult to turn by pull start once the plugs are replaced.
We have removed the pull starter and use a drill to attempt to start the motor.

The motor still won't start.

We've removed the plugs again & checked spark is good, also turning the motor with plugs out, I can feel light petrol spray from the plug outlets.

So we know there is spark & fuel, but they are not giving me any kick..

I read that the timing only needs to be adjusted when the Coils are replaced, is that right?

Any advise anyone can offer is appreciated, thanks.

Peter

Attachments

• IMG_1395b.jpg
    IMG_1395b.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 141
Hmm, have you tried cranking it with the throttle open/cracked. Perhaps its flooding. I'd give it a fist full of throttle and see if it starts, just be ready on the kill switch or choke or something because they can apparently over rev and disintergrate if not in water.

Thanks for your input guys,

I usually have the throttle high when trying to start it, and choke on. I have the motor mounted in a drum with water while testing it.
I checked the kill switch circuit when I had the no spark issue, but thats been resolved.
I am expected to get a broken wrist (once it starts) while hanging onto the Drill that I'm using to turn the flywheel..

It doesn't seem to be firing, no backfire or anything, it's confusing since I believe I have spark & fuel in the cylinder..

Thanks guys.

Got the coils connected to the correct plugs and also to the correct power pack terminals? Will spark 180 degrees out if incorrect.

Buy a spark tester (cheap) and make sure it jumps 1/4 inch on both coils.
Check flywheel key is not sheared.
Squirt some petrol down cylinders, put in plugs, and crank, something should happen.
Purchase/borrow a compression tester.
When you say throttle high, how cracked is the throttle blade?

How serious is your drill? None of my drills would start my motors. Should start with a few pulls on the rope or something is wrong.

Got the coils connected to the correct plugs and also to the correct power pack terminals? Will spark 180 degrees out if incorrect.

Thanks, tried swapping the the coil connections, no change.
Checked the power pack connections, one plug is four pin, the other is 3 pin, so can't get it wrong.

Cheers,

I'll get a spark tester & check, although gets spark on both plugs when out of the cylinders.
Flywheel key looked good.
I tried petrol down the cylinders, had some backfire twice.
I will get a compression tool to check.

Cylinders move well with the plugs out, get some petrol spray through the plug holes.
Put it in gear and had water out the pee hole, and some water out the upper exhaust holes near cowling.
I think that's normal, right?

Water out the upper exhaust holes is normal yes. It could be timing. With this outboard is there a mechanical linkage to advance it? Also, you didn't mention much about the carbs. Normally they are the worst part of an outboard that has been left lying around for a long time. You sound like you know your way around a motor so I'm presuming you gave them a good going over but just wanted to check.

By the way, are you in Sydney or is that your surname???

Stu

I tried petrol down the cylinders, had some backfire twice.

So you do have spark, have the carbs been rebuilt?

Can you put the engine in gear, open the throttle up, throttle blade 1/4 cracked and pull on the rope?
If nothing try this with a few squirts of 50:1 from a squirty bottle down the carb.
It should pop/try to run, or rev its tits off and cover you in water if it has compression and timing.

Thanks Stu, No I don't believe there is a mechanical linkage. I did pull the bowl off the Carb, removed the float and cleaned the float pin, it wasn't moving freely.
I'm presuming the carb is functioning since I am getting petrol spray/mist out the spark plug holes when the plugs are removed.

I think either its getting too much petrol, or possible timing or something like that.

Yes, I'm in Sydney.

Cheers.

Back