Logo

1977 235 Stringer-lost forward gear

I was given a 77' Starcraft Montego with less than 75 hours on the boat. I slowly woke it from a 37 year dry storage. 351 Windsor runs like a pickle seeder now. ALL fluids changed correct lube and full lower unit. Put the boat in, all well forward ,reverse, putted it at 1/4 throttle again all well.
Increased throttle put boat on plane started to go to WOT, and instant loss to forward, engine revved up. Back down, and only have reverse, no grinding sounds, nothing going into forward. Back at home, I checked solenoid wires 6.5 each, test light lights on both leads when shifter moves into position.
No "click, no clunk" no anything when shifter put in forward.
I installed a new prop, I have 3, the one I installed has never been used.
Nothing. Am I at the point that I have to pull the lower unit, or is there anything else I can check. Again this unit has VERY little use.

Check the electric lead for ward. I had this happen to my 77' and turned out that I had pinched the lead to the lower unit

Thanks Jim,
I also noticed last night while checking the connections and ohms again, that when I put the shifter into forward (engine not running) key on, the Tach needle will "jump" and it does not do it in reverse. I was going to check the voltage drop on both leads but had other commitments last night. I will check to see if the wire is pinched and or shorted.

Back