Logo

1977 115hp 115799s electric choke issues

djaggers50

I have a 1977 115hp 115799s motor. I am have issue trying to find a electric choke for it.It doesnt have one currently for me to see what it need. I found scematic on IBoatsthat gave me part number but is very vague on how to install. There are none on Ebay or anywhere on internet searches. It is showing obsolete. 1581748 is the part. Does anyone know where I can find one. Also does anyone have this motor and can send a pic of the choke and how it is hooked up. The motor has the side intakes on the manifold which covers up how it is hooked up I found pic of other motors but none have the side intake CAM00164.jpgCAM00166.jpglike mine has.

Time to find a dealer who will help you with the bits / pieces for a later ----primer injector set-up.-----Used on all OMC products since the early 1980's motors.----Easy to install on the earlier models.-----Work better than choke flappers too.

Does your engine still have the original carburetors... carburetors that have both choke and throttle butterflies?

Seems like I have seen some commentw about primer injection but didn't know it could be a replacement form my choke.

Time to find a dealer who will help you with the bits / pieces for a later ----primer injector set-up.-----Used on all OMC products since the early 1980's motors.----Easy to install on the earlier models.-----Work better than choke flappers too.

I have installed that OMC primer system on an inline 6 cylinder MERCURY outboard,---Nothing to it really and it ended " hard to start " problems on the Mercury motor.

How much is a primer system it may better to go ahead and put that in rather than a used choke. Dealers in my area are very difficult to deal with.

I have installed that OMC primer system on an inline 6 cylinder MERCURY outboard,---Nothing to it really and it ended " hard to start " problems on the Mercury motor.

There should be lots of used primer units around on E-BAY--------I have many of what you need , but you are too far away!-------Do an E-BAY search for --------johnson primer solenoid--------The solenoid for your present choke system may be listed as well !

Last edited:
You were Correct there are a ton of primer solenoid. Its weird how much they look like electric choke Is there any kind of conversion chart to tell me which one will work with my motor. I have look over the net and Youtube trying to find video on how to install chokes but nothing. They have videos for everything else but that. LOL. All the choke show for models later than mine. I found 115hp motors videos that show the choke as in the far left and show how they are hooked up. But mine has the intake flairs on the side so its difficult to see how the choke is attached.The one in the dar left pic will not fit onmine. With the side flairs there is very little room for a choke so it will take a smaller one I figure to work. (as in middle pic)
choke 3.jpgCAM00207.jpgCAM00208.jpg

There should be lots of used primer units around on E-BAY--------I have many of what you need , but you are too far away!-------Do an E-BAY search for --------johnson primer solenoid--------The solenoid for your present choke system may be listed as well !

You were Correct there are a ton of primer solenoid. Its weird how much they look like electric choke Is there any kind of conversion chart to tell me which one will work with my motor. I have look over the net and Youtube trying to find video on how to install chokes but nothing. They have videos for everything else but that. LOL. All the choke show for models later than mine. I found 115hp motors videos that show the choke as in the far left and show how they are hooked up. But mine has the intake flairs on the side so its difficult to see how the choke is attached.The one in the dar left pic will not fit onmine. With the side flairs there is very little room for a choke so it will take a smaller one I figure to work. (as in middle pic)
View attachment 7813View attachment 7814View attachment 7815

The electric primer does not hook up to the choke flappers !----It is a totally different set-up that can be adapted to your motor.----The electric primer sprays fuel into the intake system and can be mounted anywhere under the cover.---Research is needed on your part to see how this works.---When you are done you might say--" that was simple "

Back