Logo

1976 Johnson 40hp Water flow???

Aydenransome

Model #40EL76a
Hey new boater here trying to understand my 76 Johnson outboard. I can’t see water coming out of the engine while in use, I replaced the impeller but was unable to test it outside of the motor so I put it back together. I want to let it idle so I can see how she idles, however I get worried because I’m not seeing water flow out of the engine? There seems to be bubbles coming out of an exhaust by the cavitation plate? I downloaded a service manual but it does not show a diagram of water flow. I want to know if there is a way to see if water flow is plugged somehow after the impeller? I took off the lower unit again last night after testing it for 30 seconds but didn’t see water flow. I checked and the impeller is still in good shape. There seems to be exhaust gas coming from two holes on the back side of the exhaust housing? I thought water should be coming out of there as well?? Any ideas thank you .

TL;DR - water flow on my engine? Can’t find the routing for any of it??

Any way to unclog waterlines??

How can I test impeller outside of the motor??

Hopefully this all makes sense I’m very new to working on these so I’m asking the people who have experience. Much appreciated

Water in your test bucket needs to be 6 or 8" above the impeller.----Hard to assemble the water pump and do it wrong.----Where did you get the impeller?----Part# of the impeller ?

Back