Logo

1976 Ford 302 selonoid problems

Neal Franson

I have a newly overhauled 1976 ford 302 cid marine in a 1977 crusers 206. The engine is very slow cranking and stops cranking after anout 15 seconds on a full charge of 14.2 volts. It stops cranking at 12.8 volts. I have burnt out four starter selonoids, so it is a wring problem is right around there. It seems to have a lot of wires connected to it and which looks like they are going towards the console, but are hard to trace and there must be some drain there.. All engine componenents are new, including the starter (my third one). There is one black 10 guage wire connected to the starter teminal of the selonoid that goes to the console that I cannot figure out where it goes and have never found any schematic that had anything else hooked up to the starter terminal, but I disconnected it once and my gauges went screwy. There is another wire that is hooked up to the (S} terminal on the selonoid that goes towards the tilt selonoids or the consloe that I don’t know what it does. I disconnected it and everything seems to work, but still slow cranking. If someone has a schematic that shows where the wires to the console go or has some direction for me, it would be appreciated.

Back