Logo

1976 Evinrude motor over heated 6hp

frank1955

Hello everyone I messed up I changed the impeller but I didn't have the water pipe inside in the right hole so the motor got hot now it take for ever to start with starting fluid won't idle wont stay running the compression is still good what else could I have damaged and how can
I tell. Thanks for any help Frank 1955

Answer questions.-----Does spark jump a gap of 5/16" ( 8mm ) on both leads ?------What are your compression numbers ?--If head gasket is an original i suggest you install the improved ( sierra ) version.-----Inspect cylinders at the same time.

All the power-head gaskets are danger when motor overheats, also pistons and rings too. If compression is ok, then i wont be worry about if there is piston/rings damage. Might be good to put new head and maybe exhaust cover gaskets too. Remember tight head bolts evenly and use right moment. Take also care, that sealing-surfaces are very clean, before putting new gasket. Did the engine got seize? When you have exhaust covers off, you should be able to see the rings via exhaust holes.
How about spark plugs, does they look clean, dirty? If only one plug is super clean, then it is possible, that head-gasket is leaking water to that cylinder. Also bad exhaust gasket can leak cooling water to cylinders.

Back