Logo

1976 Evinrude 70 hp hesitates upon full throttle

ajsupra

Hi everyone,

I hope this post doesnt show up three or four times... having problems with my internet connection at work. I apologize in advance if it does and ask that a moderator delete all but one of them.
-----

I have a 1976 Evinrude 70 HP that stalls/bogs when going to WOT. The motor starts beautifully, idles all day long and will troll without any complaints. However, if it is left idling or running at low speed for any length of time, it will sputter and stall upon trying to accelerate to WOT.

However, if it is started and then put to WOT within a few seconds, it runs great. Likewise, if I am cruising, throttle down to pick up a ski (for example) and then give it WOT, it goes normally and without complaints. The longer it idles/slow operation the worse the problem gets.

I can usually get around the issue presenting itself by "clearing out" the motor with a bit of warm up lever. It'll puff a little blue and then generally behave itself, though it does hesitate a bit on its way to WOT rpm using this method.

The carbs were done last summer. I replaced all the gaskets, the floats and cleaned out the jets as is commonly recommended with a piece or solid wire. Link/sync looks just about perfect and the timing has been set via Joe Reeves method to 13degrees (spec is 17). The timing was a little over advanced when checking it Joes way, but we replaced a timer base (broken lever) when we got the motor originally so that could explain it. It does seem to be happier overall with the timing backed off a little, but otherwise still exhibits this problem.

Fuel pump is new, all the lines are new 3/8" urethane pieces with a new filter. The distribution lines from the carbs are not new, but are clear and clean and flow very well. Primer bulb on the tank is always rock hard and the vent it open like normal.

Spark easily jumps 7/16 and is blue. Plugs are new champions at .030"

Ive run the engine without the silencer box since I got it and having the box on makes not difference (not that It would, just fyi). The choke plates dont move at all when running, so its not the choke killing it because of floppy plates/linkage.

This engine otherwise runs very very well, but this hesitation/stalling issue makes pulling a skier a bit of a chore.

Any thoughts you may have would be appreciated,

Thanks so much

-Aaron

Back