Logo

1976 Evinrude 6hp (need some help)

How would one go about getting to the pistons. I am trying to crack open the block on one of my project motors, but the magneto assembly that the flywheel sits on is in the way of a few bolts that need to be removed. I have no idea how to take the whole assembly off to get the block apart.

P.S. the engine I am working on has water damage in the cylinder and is rusted to the pistons. Any advice to freeing these pistons up would be appreciated (currently have them soaking in WD40).

Power head has to come off to get the motor apart !!!--------flywheel has to come off too.--------------There is no other way.

Guess I should have been a little more specific.

The power head is on my bench top, and I have the flywheel off. As well as intake manifold and cylinder head. I don't know what it is called, but the circle thing that the flywheel spins around is in the way of a few bolts and it appears that it needs to be removed in order to crack the block open. I may be wrong but that what it looks like.

Well, you need to remove the 4 screws that hold the magplate ( innermost , 2 long on the coils and 2 shorter ones near the points) and then the brass collar.

Once all the bolts are removed and you are trying to separate the two halves, there are some tools you should not use...these include a screwdriver, chisel, steel hammer, pry bar etc. Useful tools include a rawhide or wooden mallet. Do not insert a screwdriver and pry between the crankcase halves. Digital photos should be taken for later reference throughout the entire dis-assembly process. Working on a clean light colored surface helps to easily locate any small parts you may drop.

Back