Logo

1975 Johnson low speed needle bushing

flyingkraut

Does the low speed needle bushing need to be replaced occasionally? I installed a new needle and new packing, but unless I tighten the nut so much that I can just barely turn the needle, the low speed needle will eventually come loose and slip out, which can only happen, I guess if the bushing would rotate slowly clockwise in the carburetor(from vibrations?) I installed the bushing with the pointed (convex) end first into the carburetor and pushed the packing washers against the concave end, which looks right to me but I can’t tell on the drawings if this is the correct way.
Thanks

Does barely turn the needle mean by your fingers on the needle or does it mean with the linkage lever? Using OEM packings or? Two packings between two plastic washers? That setup was used for many years with no significant problem.

Try to tighten the packing to the point that you can still barely turn needle, and it shouldn't move under normal operation. Like the other boys say, this is not often a complaint.

That's right, if they are too loose, they can rattle enough to mess up the seat, or the needle itself.

Thanks for all the help. I guess this also indirectly answers my question that the bushing does not need to be replaced regularly and indeed goes in with the pointy end first

Back