Logo

1975 evendure

fishmanjeff

Contributing Member
1975 evinrude 50 hp the oil is

1975 evinrude 50 hp the oil is a liitle milky in the bottom end c an i still run it like that or should i do the seals and if so could i do it myself knowing nothing about it or is it a big job

"Jeff..... If you're going

"Jeff..... If you're going to run it like that for awhile, change the gearlube so that the unit has a fighting chance..... then keep track of how it looks.

Whether you can do the job yourself depends on your mechanical expertise BUT regardless, have a good service manual on hand and study it before tearing into that unit.

Perhaps the leakage is at an area where not too much dismantling is involved. Do the following leakage test.

(Checking Gearcase For Leaks)
(J.Reeves)

Remove the large slotted drain/fill screw from the bottom of the gearcase and also the identical looking screw that will be located up near the cavitation plate in order to drain the gearlube.

After all of the lubricant has drained, install one of the slotted screws, whichever your preference might be.

Apply 7 to 12 pounds of air pressure to the open screw hole. Use a piece of rubber fuel line or something to create a tight air hose fit if you do not have a proper fitting.

If a leak exists, that pressure should allow you to locate the leak by sound and/or sight.

When time permits, visit my store at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

so i tried that and could not

so i tried that and could not come up with anything could hear no sound if i plugeed the hole wit my finger and blow air in the other hole i would get a blast of air when i moved my finger any other ideas? thanks

"poss the gaskets,or lack of,.

"poss the gaskets,or lack of,..on the drain screws,very common...other than that,pressurize it,submerge in water and see where it bubbles.,but,..to do the job right,as long as the prob IS NOT dr screw gaskets,...if it leaks,it leaks,and the all seals should be replaced."

Back