Logo

1975 6hp evinrude compression

"well thats not good news for

"well thats not good news for me then mine was about 30psi looks like Im ripping her down for a ring job, and it was running so good and then just lost power and stopped o well"

"Bill they are an easy motor t

"Bill they are an easy motor to rebuild, keep posting what you see and find as to why the motor did what it did...It could have seized due to over heating??

There are some terrific guys on this site who will steer you through the process (myself included
happy.gif
)"

will just replaceing the rings

will just replaceing the rings do the job or will have more to do. Ill will keep up the posts

"well I took off the carb and

"well I took off the carb and seen that I was getting some leaking around the reeds so I took them off and cleaned them and sprayed some eng cleaner and let sit over night now put back together and seem to be getting more compression and a caugh from the motor but still no start. I have spark. should I still change out the rings. how much would I be looking at for new rings, thanks All"

"I would take it apart, check

"I would take it apart, check the condition of the cylinders and rings. Remove the rings, (hopefully they are not broken) they may just be gummed up and stuck within the groves and not sealing properly. I have had success with just freeing the rings (remove, clean grove and replace), light hone on the cylinder and putting it back together. Have not done this on bigger engines, but the small ones less than 10 hp I have done so quite a few times.

Have a great day

Rob."

"thanks Ill give that a try di

"thanks Ill give that a try didnt think about them being gummed up and stuck.becouse after I sprayed some engine cleaner I did get more comperssion out of it, this just may do the trick"

"Before tearing it down, it mi

"Before tearing it down, it might be worth trying to run it temporarily on a 16 to 1 or richer gas/oil ratio. Sometimes this will give it enough compression to start and once started, the rings may "free up" on their own."

Before doing anything..... sim

Before doing anything..... simply remove the cylinder head in order to inspect the head gasket. It's possible that the heasd wasn't torqued properly and the gasket failed between the two cylinders.

well Joe you were 100% right w

well Joe you were 100% right went to take off the head and 3 bolts were loose and once I got the thing off right between the cylinders the gasket was broke you guys are the best thanks when I get er all together Ill let you know if it starts lol

well got the gasket today put

well got the gasket today put it on and she fired right up and ran after some fine tuning thanks for all the input everyone it realey helped

"Good for you, you saved a few

"Good for you, you saved a few bucks and quite a bit of your time. Now, whereinthehell do we send this bill? (grin)"

Back