Logo

1974 Mercury 50hp

I am unfamiliar with this 74&#

I am unfamiliar with this 74' 50hp Merc's trim system. It has short boxy booms on both sides of the motor. The hydraulic lines run to a separate motor in the boat which has small knob which appears to release/create hyrdaulic pressure. The trim/tilt switch has three buttons: up/middle/down. She trims down fine but only "clicks" when I press up? The middle button does not appear to do anything. I don't understand why she's only working one way.

The middle button " might

The middle button " might have to be pushed along with the up button " to put it past maximum trim.

"Hi London, have had this type

"Hi London, have had this type of switch before so I'm familiar with your suggestion. Tried it during troubleshooting though but it didn't change anything. Thanks, Mark -"

the click sounds like a bad so

the click sounds like a bad soliond you can jumper from the big wired connection to the other big wired connection on the other side and should work for testing purpose

Mark..the wiring on that vinta

Mark..the wiring on that vintage 50 was horrible..had 2 of them and had to rewire both of them...inspect for insulation gone and corroded wires(green or grey insead of copper)...if you see any discoloration then you have resistance...good luck..Carl

Back