Logo

1974 85hp Johnson 85ESL74

Cpelcher

Happy Fathers Day. Came across boat and motor a few weeks ago. Engine was sitting for a considerable amount of time but looked well cared for. Here's what I've done so far attempting to breath life into this motor once again.

*New Fuel Tank, Fuel Line, Primer Ball and of course fuel.
*New Fuel Pump
*Compression test revealed good numbers, all around 110
*New Spark plugs
*Spark test revealed good spark in all but 1 cylinder, replaced bad coil plug wire etc.
*Brand New Fully Charged Battery

Starter motor doing its job turning the motor over but the engine will not fire.

I'm about to do a carb re-build thinking that because it was sitting for so long the carbs may be gummed up.

What am I missing? How do I get this motor going? I feel like I'm missing something very basic and obvious.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Chris

Carburetors must be confimed clean.---------Do you have spark that will jump a gap of 3/8" or more with all plugs in and using a spark tester , yes or no ?

Spark plugs should be Champion QL77JC4 plugs, gaped at .040 (strongest spark) or .030 (longest life).

Yes, (sitting)... the carburetors are fouled. There are four high speed jets, 2 to a carburetor, located horizontally in the bottom center portion of the float chamber, way in back of the drain screw plugs you see on the sides of the float chambers. Clean them all thoroughly with a piece of single strand wire as solvent just doesn't do that job properly.

Let us know what you find.

Hi guys, thank you for the quick replies. Yes re the spark jumping 3/8's. I guess my next job will be cleaning and rebuilding carbs.

Back