Logo

1974 165 outdrive What oil do they use

"I think I am going to buy a 1

"I think I am going to buy a 1974 boat with a 165 in it. I am only buying the boat for parts. Basically the outdrive, and the trailer. I have a 3.7 470. 1977. And I believe this outdrive will bolt right on my boat. But I want to drain the oil from the outdrive first to check for water. And if for some reason I dont buy it Im going to have to refill the outdrive with oil. Is there anything else I should look for to make sure the outdrive is good? besides draining the oil, and pressure testing the outdrive. Ive been checking the prices of outdrives, and I should be able to get my money back from the trailer, and spare parts. The 165 runs it just has a valve train knock. What scares me is the engine and outdrive have almost 700 hours on them. Is that a lot?"

"I don't think 700 hours i

"I don't think 700 hours is a worry assuming it has had decent maintenance. Marine engines can easily exceed 2000 hours with proper maintenance and a little luck.
You should definitely drain and catch the oil and look carefully for any indication of water, milky color, or metal particles. A few tiny flecks of metal is normal, but there should not be anything bigger obviously. If the plug has a magnet, that will catch anything big. Carefully examine anything adhering to the magnet under a bright light.
You can use the newer "high performance" Merc lube, blue-green in color. It is backwardly compatible with all the old drives and Merc says it is much superior to the old drive lube. I don't know if they even sell the old lube anymore."

"If the engine has not been ru

"If the engine has not been run for a time, the oil and water, hopefully not the latter, will be seperated and only the water in the lower will run out if you just pull the bottom drain plug.If no water and just some good old black, smelly lube comes out you are good to go."

Back