Logo

1973 Evinrude 40 Wonbt Start

troy_d

"This is my first time on this

"This is my first time on this site as I am relatively new to boating. I recently purchased an older boat equiped with a 1973 evinrude 40hp that hasn't been run in 8 years according to the previous owner. Prior to atempting to start the engine I cleaned and rebuilt the carb, replaced the fuel lines, cleaned the fuel filter and replaced the spark plugs but it just doesn't seem to want to run. A compression check showed 106psi on 1 cylinder and 104psi on the other. It also has good spark. If I pull the plugs and squirt a little fuel into the cylinders and try to start it it will sputter a few times and nothing more.This leads me to believe it is a carb problem but it has already been apart several times now with no apparent problems. Any insight into possible problems would be greatly appreciated."

The fuel pump has little to do

The fuel pump has little to do with starting a motor. Remove the plug for the high speed jet and pump your primer bulb.Fuel should pour out.Did you remove the highspeed jet ( brass ) for cleaning?.When the carburetor was off did you inspect reed valves for debris?

"The high speed jet is located

"The high speed jet is located in the bottom center portion of the float chamber. If you can't remove it, simply clean it with a piece of single strand wire. Fuel must flow thru that jet before it can flow to any other passageway.

(Carburetor Adjustment - Single S/S Adjustable Needle Valve)
(J. Reeves)

Initial setting is: Slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Start engine and set the rpms to where it just stays running. In segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the S/S needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running.

Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

Note: As a final double check setting of the slow speed valve(s), if the engine has more than one carburetor, do not attempt to gradually adjust all of the valves/carburetors at the same time. Do one at a time until you hit the above response (die out or spit back), then go on to the next valve/carburetor. It may be necessary to back out "all" of the slow speed adjustable needle valves 1/8 turn before doing this final adjustment due to the fact that one of the valves might be initially set ever so slightly lean.

When you have finished the above adjustment, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

Thanks for the input everyone.

Thanks for the input everyone. Finally managed to get it running this morning. I don't know why it wouldn't start before but all I did this morning was turn the key and it started right up. I think it might have been a choke problem because this morning I used the manual choke rather than the electric because last time I tried to start it with the electric choke I noticed the choke plate would close but kind of flip open when the engine was cranking over. Who knows but at least it starts now.

Back