Logo

1973 85hp Johnson just clicking when trying to start

gilwe

I bought a boat about 6 weeks ago and when I got it the engine fired right up. Now when I go to start it, the engine is just giving me a clicking sound. It seems to me like its either the starter or the solenoid but not sure and before I just go out and by a starter I wanted to seek some advice. Any thoughts?

Perhaps you should check the condition of the battery first.------------If it fired right up 6 weeks ago and now will not , I would say check or charge the battery !!!----------Failing that you might want to look at the brushes in the starter ( i install them a cost of $5.00 a set ) and easy to do.--------------Rushing out to buy new stuff gets expensive !!

Besides what racerone says check all the elec.connections clean them. Batt,solenoid,starter,Make sure the ground has a good connection. Batt and block

Use a jumper cable to go directly from the starter to the + side of the battery. If the starter works normally, replace the solenoid. If the starter still doesn't work an auto electric shop can rebuild it and make it like new.

Back