Logo

1973 135hp evinrude no spark

I disconnect the big red conne

I disconnect the big red connector.I disconnected black/yellow wire on power pack.I took out all spark plugs.I jumped the starter it turned over at least 300 rpms.Yes i inserted a screwdriver in the rubber spark plug boot held 7/16 inch away from medal surface on the motor still no spark.What is the most common cause for no spark? I don't have anykind of meters and wouldn't know how to use them anyway.I'm willing to buy a power pack if anyone here thinks it makes sense. Taking it to a shop is not a option

"Rick,
Based on the followin

"Rick,
Based on the following cost for OEM parts:
PWR Pack $168.95
Stator Assy $378.00
Timer Base $308.95
Ign Coil $41.99 ea.

I would suggest that you determine the cause before purchasing on the whim of someone’s suggestion.

Since you stated:
I don't have anykind of meters and wouldn't know how to use them anyway.

And:
Taking it to a shop is not a option

It would appear that you are in a bit of a spot. If you have checked for spark at each of the four coils instead of just one as your post suggests, and have no spark on any, you can rule out the cheaper of the parts. Granted, you may be able to find after market parts at a reduced cost, but I for one wouldn’t want to make a mistake. That is unless you are feeling lucky."

Pull the fly wheel the cost is

Pull the fly wheel the cost is zero if the stator or trigger is bad you will obviously see it.
This was the last step I did in six months of troubleshooting and swapping parts and squeezing primer bulb low and behold after pulling the flywheel a blind man could have seen the obvious.

Thank you all for your replie

Thank you all for your replies.I had the stator put in just few years back.The motor ran good the last time i used it nov-2008. Will stator go bad by just sitting?The test that i did by jumping the starter [in above post] did i do it right.The test was to rule out shorted key switch

"yes did it spark when you did

"yes did it spark when you did the test,if not you will need to buy a cheap meter that can measure voltage/ohms"

Back