Logo

1972 Evinrude 85

Hi folks,
I just got an older unit both boat and motor are 1972. I am used to the telltale showing the water pump doing it's job but this engine doesn't have one. I never thought about it but I guess they all don't have this feature on them. I know you can add this to a few different engines but I don't see a place to add one anywhere on this block. I guess as long as I can see it spraying a bit out of the two holes on the back of the exhaust housing it's ok. Did these have them and just this motor doesn't have one or are a lot of older engines minus this feature? Even my 57 Johnson has a place to see the water coming out of it and it's much older than this motor.

Thanks,

Nick

In those days people went to dealers for maintenance. --------The shop would replace the impeller on a regular basis and people were good to go.-------------Now we have electronic ignition and fixed jet carburetors.------People today mostly think---" my motor starts , what could be wrong "----------Outboards rarely wear out , they end up scrapped by people who make mistakes !!!-------------OK , now you can add a telltale to the 85 HP you just need to drill in and add a fitting, or find a place that is already there for it, as there may be one.--------I will look at one of those blocks later today for a threaded hole on them.

The old powerhead I took off had a place tapped with a plug I saw but I didn't pay much attention to it. When I installed the new powerhead it didn't have this plug in it. I'll have to go back to the other house and take a look at that other block and see where that plug was. I'm thinking it was on the starboard head and if thats the case I could just swap heads out and use the existing spot already tapped. Like I said I didn't pay much attention to this until I got the new engine started and then thought about the telltale and noticed there wasn't one. I just put a new pump assembly in it so I should be good to go but it is still nice to see that stream of water telling me it's being circulated...

Thanks,
Nick

Just looked at a block and the plug is up near #1 just back of the head ( starboard side ).-------You can add a telltale or a pressure gauge.-----Dealers used that years ago to measure pressure on the motors. Like I said we live in changing times in motors / owners and in the industry in general. With a new pump you should be good for about 4/5 years.

Back