Logo

1972 Evinrude 65 Triumph troubleshooting

JackAsserson

No spark on all 3 cylinders, disconnected kill wire, same deal. Not sure where to go from here… just bought the boat, no response from ignition either but I see voltage change with key at the starter solenoid, so I assume bad solenoid there. Where should I check next for spark? I simply disconnected the black/yellow from the power pack. I’m not sure how to test the power pack itself.

Hasn’t ran since 01

Flywheel must turn fast in order to generate spark at the plugs.----Start with a load test on the battery.
I wandered if that may be the case. You’ve been here a long time, I’ve seen your post on some old threads involving this motor. Battery is brand new, going from battery to starter with jumper cables, but it’s turning over pretty slowly

Take the starter apart.----Check brushes.----Do an ohm test on armature.-----Check lower end oil.---Test shift function.-----Post actual results of a compression test before spending any $$$ on this 50 year old motor.----

Take the starter apart.----Check brushes.----Do an ohm test on armature.-----Check lower end oil.---Test shift function.-----Post actual results of a compression test before spending any $$$ on this 50 year old motor.----
If the voltage is changing at the solenoid when I hit the key, but it’s reading no power at the starter, the solenoid must be bad , correct? No response from key either. So I suppose I should start with a new solenoid and rebuild the starter. Then I can carry on with the shift/compression test once it’s turning over properly

Agreed with the above, there may be 2 safety switches on this motor.----Do some investigating / trouble shooting before spending any beer tokens on this 50 year old motor.

Do you hear solenoid click? Throttle advanced to far and safety switch engaged?
When I turn the key I hear nothing at all. I haven’t seen any switches. I will say this motor was up and running in 2001, fuel drained and sat since then. I’ve played around with different throttle positions, but no click at all.

There maybe a " start in neutral " switch in the control box.-------There may be a switch on the engine block near the throttle arm.----Only one white wire needs to go to it.----Remove that white wire, then ground it to the block.----See if motor will crank.

There maybe a " start in neutral " switch in the control box.-------There may be a switch on the engine block near the throttle arm.----Only one white wire needs to go to it.----Remove that white wire, then ground it to the block.----See if motor will crank.
IMG_2081.jpeg
Would this be the switch?

I need to tie a string to the shift linkage wires before pulling the lower unit, correct? Got the pump kit, first outboard I’ve owned with electric shift. How big of an ordeal does it become if the string breaks, or wires snag? @racerone

Replaced impeller, gasket and impeller housing, threw it back together. Previously there was a small stream of water coming out, now I’ve got nothing. Motor is hot to the touch, can’t lay a finger on it for more than a second. Not sure where I screwed up

Installed the water tube seal ?----Did you use the plastic guide tube to make sure copper tube went into pump correctly ?

I never even saw a copper tube.. I saw a plastic tube there , I thought I’d had gone in the same way it came out. I went ahead and dropped off at a shop

Back