Logo

1972 Evinrude 65 hp

sgruebs870

"I'm having trouble starti

"I'm having trouble starting my outboard and keeping it running. When/if it starts it stays running in idle speed, but when I hammer the gas it kills. If I SLOWLY accelerate it won't kill and after a few minutes at high speed the boat runs fine. If I idle too long and try to accelerate too fast it dies. I just purchased the boat/motor three days ago. I know it has a new lower unit. This is my first boat/motor purchase and I only know a little about outboard maintenance. Any help would be greatly appreciated."

"check fuel hoses, filters, fu

"check fuel hoses, filters, fuel pump . Full carb service is a must!, fuel tank to engine hose ok? fuel line primer hard when running? fuel tank vent is opened? go with that first and let us know"

"I have a 73 65hp that was doi

"I have a 73 65hp that was doing the exact same thing!! I removed the intake manifold to find the top and middle carbs idle jet capscrews were almost falling out. I rebuilt the carbs and fuel pump, replaced the primer bulb and fuel line, and it runs great!!"

i have a 75 hp 4 cyl johnnston

i have a 75 hp 4 cyl johnnstone and the gas runs right through the engine start5 good and has lots of power it leaves a gas trail behind it i had the carbs rebuilt and i changed the carbs and the reid valves to another 75 that i have it does the same thing with this engine anybody have the answer to this problem thanks.

"(Hesitation/Bogging On Ap

"(Hesitation/Bogging On Applying Throttle)
(J. Reeves)

This is a common problem and is usually caused by a sticking timer base under the flywheel or fouled, clogged carburetors.

With the engine NOT RUNNING but in forward gear, have someone advance the throttle slowly from the idle position to full throttle while you observe the timer base. It should advance smoothly throughout that travel range. If it sticks, find out why and correct that restriction.

If the timer base is okay, and especially if the engine has been sitting for some time, remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetors using complete carburetor kits. Even if you've rebuilt them yesterday, it's possible that you've overlooked something.

Pay particulay attention to the fixed brass high speed jets that are located in the bottom center portion of the float chambers. Make sure that they are absolutely clean. I recommend that they be cleaned manually with a piece of single strand steel wire as soaking in cleaning solvent really doesn't do the job properly at times.

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

"Not to state the obvious but.

"Not to state the obvious but......do you choke the motor to start it cold? You said it was the first boat you've owned and you have to manually choke it I believe....
question.gif
"

Back