Logo

1972 85 hp Evinrude electric shift

uspscp

I have had this motor on a LUND for over 20 yrs, never had to do anything to it except change spark plugs and a fuel pump about 8 yrs ago, but lately I was having bad problems, it would idle for ever but as soon as I gave it throttle it acted like it was starving for gas and missing, so I took it to a shop, they rebuilt the carburetors, replaced the coil, cleaned the points, replaced the power pack, and reset the timing, this went on for four months, and thought the problem was finally fixed, so this is what happened, we were running down the lake just fine, until we ran out of gas and I switched tanks which I have two 9 gal plastic tanks, and it started missing again so I idled over to the marina filled the empty tank and it started running just fine again, so can a $100.00 gas tank cause the problems I was having and cost me over $1000.00 for nothing.

Unfortunately many shops treat the customer as a ----------" scource of easy revenue "-----------Sounds like they replaced a lot of parts that had nothing to do with the symptoms. ---------Just my opinion !!

Back