Logo

1972 65hp evirude

bosshammer07

My 1972 65 HP Evinrude started acting up today, When I push the throttle forward it goes about 3 mph, if I take my time and ease the throttle forward (about 5 minutes), then she will take off like normal for a little while then she slows back down to a crawl, any ideas for what has happen to the motor?

First of all you need to stop running the motor with a hope that it will magically fix itself.----------If it is a problem with a plugged carburetor than no fuel and little oil is going into one cylinder !-------So start with a compression test and follow that with a test for spark.----All 3 must jump a gap of 7/16" or more.-A good ignition system can do that with ease.--------If those results are good then clean the carburetors.-------Cleaning of carburetors is not hard to do even for someone doing this for the first time.

First of all you need to stop running the motor with a hope that it will magically fix itself.----------If it is a problem with a plugged carburetor than no fuel and little oil is going into one cylinder !-------So start with a compression test and follow that with a test for spark.----All 3 must jump a gap of 7/16" or more.-A good ignition system can do that with ease.--------If those results are good then clean the carburetors.-------Cleaning of carburetors is not hard to do even for someone doing this for the first time.

Thank you racerone for your post, but please dont assume that I'm out for a joy ride to magically fix my motor. I was ten miles from the boat ramp so I had to play around just to get my family home.

Sorry, post #1 gives no indication of what the situation is / was .--------It is always a good idea to post as much information as you can.----As in , this happened when the motor was at full throttle.-This happened while at idle .-----Or this is the first trip out for the season.

Hey boss, sounds to me like the stator is trying to go out on you. This sounds really fimiliar, i had a 20hp Johnson that did the same thing. If i eased into it it would run for a little bit and then cut out. But mine would actually shut the motor down, so you may want to look into that. Not sure if i helped or just added some unesesary work for you, but figured i'd put my nickles worth in.

Hey boss, sounds to me like the stator is trying to go out on you. This sounds really fimiliar, i had a 20hp Johnson that did the same thing. If i eased into it it would run for a little bit and then cut out. But mine would actually shut the motor down, so you may want to look into that. Not sure if i helped or just added some unesesary work for you, but figured i'd put my nickles worth in.

Thank you calvintb any advice is great I appriciate any advice that is helpfull and that doesnt assume I am out screwing off.

Back