Logo

1972 4HP stator

Blueghost

1972 mercury 4hp stator. I have checked all diodes and they are all within spec. High speed coil is 718 ohms (spec is 450-550) and low speed coil is 5720 ohms (spec is 3500-5500) Will these over ohm readings cause any problems?

Are you buying the stator as a replacement or troubleshooting an engine that doesn't run? You have the GEN 1, Phasemaker with the large capacitor and the maker points.

I bought the motor without a coil. Before I buy a new coil I would like to know if the stator is any good. I am aware its a Phase Maker ignition

20230710_100218.jpg

Not sure who would recommend that the stator is good with the resistance values being out of tolerance, understanding that these engines can be pricey to repair the ignition system. (I have 5 of them from 1967-1984) Before spending any money on the this engine, I would check compression, should be in the neighborhood of 115-120 PSI and pressure and vacuum test the gearcase for leaks. Unfortunately, prior to 1976, these engines had steel driveshafts that rusted at the seal line in the waterpump body causing water leaks or loss of gearoil. New 15" driveshafts are NLA and to my knowledge no seal savers exist for either the .438" or .456" diameter driveshafts.

The engine was evaluated before purchase and found to be in excellent condition. Cylinder is rust free with cross hatch showing. Compression is strong. Only issue is paint on propeller blades leading edge will need to be re-painted. The fact the values are out of factory (ideal) spec does not mean is will not function satisfactorily. My issues is finding anyone knowledgeable on these phase makers. Those who worked on them are either dead or 90 years old

Well good luck with your search. There is plenty to read about it if you know where to look. I'm sure you'll find it.

Yeah, they are simple engines, not much to know. In my case I will find a used coil, see if it works with my stator, then report back so others in the future can benefit from the knowledge.

I've read all the threads and informatin papers on the stator, but none of them answered my question.

Back