Logo

1972 40HP Johnson Seahorse problems with carburetor

Reily

Hi. This is my first post to this forum. Before I go seek help from a mechanic I thought I’d ask here. On my 1982 bass tracker I have a 1972 40hp johnson outboard. The problem I’m having is that the float keeps getting stuck. I’ve adjusted it a lot and tried to get it perfect but no matter what the rim of the float furthest from the hinge seems to be getting stuck on the casting of the bowl. Often times it will idle fine once I pull it apart and get it unstuck but then once I open the throttle and gas starts going out it sticks wide open (all the way down) and gas starts puking out of the carburetor throat and overflow hole and the motor dies because it’s flooded. What can I do? I have the right float for that model. Can I shave the edge of the float down? It’s a cork float so I’m worried that if I shave off the protective coating it might just swell with gas after a while and not work properly. Is there something I can spray on it after I shave it to re seal it?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Buy a new float,pin,and float bowl gasket.The new floats are not made of cork,also be careful when you position the float bowl gasket.Have had the float hang up on the edge of the gasket before.

That cork float has been used for over 25 years with no problem, and they are still cork. Properly installed and adjusted they work. I assume you are setting the float level and drop. Not trying to install it upside down are you?

Back