Logo

1972 4 HP R/R Drive shaft oil seal ?

abl1111

Regular Contributor
Replacing water pump on this old girl and while I'm here, I'd like to replace the drive shaft seal ( not the prop shaft on this project ). Not a lot of info online as to the 'tricks of the trade' for this particular motor.

Without a specialized puller, what is the best method to remove the drive shaft seal ? I think the biggest issue is - I don't know what the seal actually looks like to attempt trying to pry it out ( without galling the housing ).

I've read about drilling (2) holes, screw in (2) screws into the seal and pull - not sure if this will work with this type of seal. The seal looks like it's in there nice'n comfy.

I did have some water in my oil last year - could have been the drain seals ( which I replaced ). This engine is an emergency sailboat ( when there's no wind ) engine, and is not used a lot, I figured no biggie - as I dump the oil each season. But, while doing the water pump, I'd like to replace the seal.

Insight please...

Prying it out... you run the risk of breaking the side sealing walls of the seal seat.

A small slide hammer with a hook would get my vote.

I agree with the slide - but, finding something with hooks that are that small to fit in the OD of the seal seems to be tough ( without spending a mint ).

in order to assure even 'pull' there would need to be (2) hooks. Anyone have a DIY seal puller for this small seal or a source for a cheapie-get-it-done tool ?

To have a single rod slide hammer with two hooks... you'd have a hellava time getting the width of those two hooks thru the opening of the seal. Just move the single hook from side to side. It's always worked for me. The threaded rod with a proper size hook is easily made.

Agreed with using two hooks. Single hook moved around would work.

Threaded rod with proper size hook - that's where the rubber hits the road. I have seen a the vise grip with the threaded rod threaded into the vise grip handle and a slide mech added. With this, I could see maybe using an Allen key locked into the vise grip, then use the slide ( although there is potential for the Allen key to slip from the vise grip )

Is that what you mean ? Or, can you elaborate with your tool ? Connecting a hook to the threaded rod eludes me ( I don't weld although its in my bucket list to-do )

Last edited:
A slide hammer is simply a rod with a good size weight with a hole thru it slid onto the rod. The top end of the rod is threaded with a nut and washer as a stop that would prevent the weight from sliding off the rod as it is yanked upwards. Sliding the weight into the washer/nut creates a upward force of the rod. the bottom of the steel rod, the tool end can be shaped to any form needed, in this case, just something to grab the bottom of the seal... a hook.

Look at one in Sears, any auto parts store, Pep Boys, wherever... you'll get the idea.

This just shifted from " I'd like to remove this seal " to, " I have to..." I was trying to use an impeller puller and the seal's spring came out. And the rubber ripped a bit.

This @#$#^%^&$% seal is in there !!!!

Not even sure a slide will do it.

As for the design of a slide pull - I understand it. I just was having a hard time thinking of how a hook attaches to the rod. I guess you shape the end of the threaded rod to a hook. Is a threaded rod strong enough to take that abuse ?

Got it off ! I stared at it for awhile. Then an idea popped into my head;

I did it a bit differently, but it luckily worked. I had a 4-5" bolt that was perfectly sized to thread into the ID of the seal. I then used a 4-5" pc of scrap wood as leverage, right near the bolt, and sitting on the housing - with an adjustable wrench under the bolt head and the wrenches shank leveraged against the wood, I slid a pipe over the end of the wrench for added advantage and... to my surprise, it popped right off ( at first I thought the bolt threads stripped out of the seal - but alas, it was the seal that came off ).

:)

When I replace with the new seal, does any special Evinrude spec'd sealant or a thin layer of oil go between the OD of the seal and the housing - or, do I clean it up real good and just press the new one in place ?

Last edited:
Use any adhesive between the OD seal and the housing ?

I was thinking of using a ratchet socket to press the seal into place. Sound OK ?

Back