Logo

1972 22b Reinell Cuddy Boat OMC 225 help%3cIMG SRC%3d%22httpwwwmarineenginecomdiscuscliparthappygif%22 ALT%3d%22%22 BORDER%3d0%3e

"anyone selling the GM crate m

"anyone selling the GM crate motors will have that statement: not recommended for marine use. It is because of the automotive cam and tin core plugs. The tin will rust with lake water and leak.

There are some marine rebuilders that buy the same crate motore, slap in brass core plugs and a a marine cam- then they double the price and offer a short warranty for marine use. google search marine crate engine
(there's only the one Mexican factory in the whole world casting Chevy V8 blocks so they all are the same engine originally)

Not my style, though. I can pop in my own core plugs for $19 and a cam for $150. I don't want the warranty anyways. It's generally not something you could ever collect on without Johnnie Cochran's team."

"Great point. Yes, its funny h

"Great point. Yes, its funny how it being marine makes it go up in price so much. I agree that doing your own plugs, boat specific cam and aluminum head gaskets would save some decent money as they are the major differences vs automotive."

not aluminum head gaskets - yo

not aluminum head gaskets - you want a good composite with stainless fire rings like FelPro makes

"Engine replacement is the rou

"Engine replacement is the route I plan to go then. I opened up this motor as an exploratory endeavor. Like Robert says, this thing would likely need a machine shop and that will just add up quickly, in time and money. This engine is rusted from head to toe and in the daylight today I see the cylinders literally have barnicles growing on them. I don't know that I can afford a crate engine right now but I plan to either find a used marine engine or an automotive engine and convert it. Can my 307 cam, if in good shape, be used in say a 350 or will I just have to buy new?

The hunt begins!

Good tip on the UTube lookup Hy Stat, I forgot how comprehensive that site has gotten. Also, thanks for the parameters on buying a used motor. Hear it run, compression AND pressure test it...sensible as always and I would have probably skipped two of the three, if not three of those three tests."

"Bought an '87 Chevy 307 t

"Bought an '87 Chevy 307 this weekend for $50. Got to hear it run, the motor had no weird noises or smoke. The oil was clean with no metal fragments, water or bubbles. Conversely no oil in coolant or coolant leaks whatsoever. Moist with oil around most seals, even a bit in bell housing presumably from slight rear main leak. I started tearing it down today but didn't get too far as my puller didn't fit front pulley holes right(2 of 3 slots only). I plan to clean up oil pan/block/heads/valve covers and install a full gasket kit. Also attempting to switch entire valvetrain from marine 307 as well as alternator, distributor, exhaust manifolds and freeze plugs (punch and pry with screwdriver?). Am I on the right track, I'm sure I'm forgetting something? I see Felpro gaskets are recommended often, is there a specific gasket material I should target for this full kit, marine application? Below are photos of the replacement. I ordered the service & repair manual and the company sent the owner's manual, which I needed anyway. Reordered service & repair manual and it should be here by Friday. Really need procedure to remove OMC from boat. Appears it involves removing the outdrive first? Thanks!

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/treemonkey2/P1010073_0003.jpg"

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/treemonkey2/P1010075_0003.jpg"

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/treemonkey2/P1010083_0003.jpg""

my 5th post up there where it

my 5th post up there where it says 1964-1986.... I meant it.
Chevrolet changed the rear crankshaft flange in 1987. Your OMC engine coupler wont fit a 1987 motor. Let's hope the seller was wrong on the year as no coupler exists to mate that engine to your drive if it is a 1987

"I've got to get more deta

"I've got to get more detail oriented on this!! Luckily this engine bears block casting number GM 3932373, remaned by chevy for '68-'73 applications. The truck was an '87 but thankfully the engine is older. My friend will stop by today and compression test while I locate a puller.

Know of any links on outdrive pulling procedure for my OMC? I can't seem to find one.

Thanks again!"

Back