Logo

1971 johnson 60hp fires but wont run

kourgath

to start off with i'm brand new with a boat.I received a 1985 bayliner with a 1971 Johnson 60hp outboard 2 weeks ago. the lower unit was taken off and had been rebuilt but not put back on. I finished up the LU and installed it today checked everything I could think of and put it on muffs to start it. forgot to prime the engine but it started right up for a few seconds then died. primed the pump and tried to start it again and all it does is fire. so on to my questions... is there a way to tell if the water is circulating? could an old fuel/oil mix keep it from running now when it ran unprimed for a few seconds? what should be my next course of action?

That would be a 3 cylinder motor.----------Pull flywheel and adjust points to be at 0.010" -----inspect anti-reversing spring.--------Clean distributor cap and rotor.----Will it start when you spray some premixed fuel into carburetor throats ??----Is choke set properly and does it close choke plates when you operate the switch ?

choke plates close when I operate the switch. it fires all the time but only actually runs when it's cold as I found this morning after finding the manual choke. where's the anti reversing spring? i'm not finding it in the seloc manual. cleaning cap rotor and points while the battery is being charged. also draining the fuel so I can put fresh in. anyone know what the compression should be on these as the manual doesn't list it in specs and troubleshooting just ssays check compression not what it should be.

ok pulled flywheel, woodruff key is worn to nothing so I need to replace that. pulled distributor cap and low and behold the rotor doesn't have a key section to match the notch in the crank. so is it pressure alone that is supposed to keep the rotor pointing at the correct spot? or is there supposed to be a key section?

IMG_20130507_132008_730.jpgIMG_20130507_132036_523.jpg as you can see there's nothing that keeps the rotor moving with the crank except pressure.

well after a days tearing apart and reassembling, carbs, points, plugs, coil, spark, and fuel are all cleaned and reset to factory spec, just need to wait on a new woodruff key for the flywheel and new rotor so it'll stop slipping when it's warm(i'm assuming that's what's happening)

another question related a little I think, in the bucket-o-parts that came with this motor were these that for the life of me I can't figure out where they belongIMG_20130507_164431_836.jpg

alright, got the rotor and key in installed them and she started right up. timing might be a little off but runs pretty decently atm. gotta take it to the lake tomorrow and float test the boat as well as check and make sure it's shifting properly

Back