Logo

1971 25HP Johnson Carburettor problems

kevin_stinton

"I have obtained a 1971 25 HP

"I have obtained a 1971 25 HP Johnson outboard which seems to be running rich and producing much more smoke than I would expect it to (even for such an old engine).
The plugs soon become blackened and oily after running for a while, even though the mix is at the correct 50 to 1 ratio you would normally use on a two stroke outboard.

I am really struggling to understand how this could be still happening because I have recently fitted the following parts:-
A) Carburetor float, B) Float valve and seat, C) Gasket nozzle, D) Float bowl gasket, E) bridge needle valve (Idle circuit).
146941.jpg
Pic 1"">

I have also cleaned out all of the air circuits with a pipe cleaner and high pressure air. I have also adjusted the angle of the Float arm (There doesn’t seem to be any other way to regulate fuel flow into the main jet.
In fact, if I bend the Float arm up any further, it stops letting in fuel altogether.

The only thing I thought might be affecting the fuel to air ratio, could be the depth that the main jet seems to be dipping into the bowl itself.
I have noticed an exposed silver grey section of the jet underneath that indicates to me that the Jet might have dropped out slightly by vibration or heat expansion and contraction over time.
146942.jpg
Pic 2"">

Should the Jet protrude higher into the Venturi chamber than it does in the picture below? Should the top of the Jet be in the centre of the air flow?
146943.jpg
Pic 3"">

The bottom of the main jet has holes drilled through the side.
I am assuming that this is to allow it to draw air into the tube along with fuel from the bottom, thus reducing the overall fuel air ratio coming out of the jet?
Am I correct in assuming that if the jet was to low into the bowl, or the fuel level is too high, more fuel than air would be pulled into the jet through these holes, resulting in an over rich mix?
146944.jpg
Pic 4"">

146945.jpg
Fig 1"">

Does anyone know how much fuel should be in the bowl when the float is correctly adjusted?

Another thing I have noticed is that there is a small restrictor valve (referred to as an orifice plug) between the inner and outer chambers of the main float chamber (see the diagram above).
Is this plug adjustable, or should it be so? If it is supposed to be adjusted somehow (the one in my carburettor bowl wont turn) would this be able to limit the amount of fuel coming out of the main jet?
What other purpose could this plug serve other than so restrict the flow of fuel into the inner chamber?
I am grasping at straws at the moment and am probably thinking along the wrong lines, so any advice would be much appreciated thanks."

"You are making it a bit too c

"You are making it a bit too complicated.
Pick one:
Adjust the float by bending the tab so the float is parallel to the the gasket 'D'.
Put it all together, start the engine.
Check that the engine temp is reached. With hand on top of cylinder: Barely to touch.
If not: change thermostat.
If thermostat is bad, change impeller at same time.
When engine has reached operating temp, spray Engine Tuner/Sea Foam into the carb almost until engine stops.
Let engine sit for a minimum of one hour, then start. (Read instruction on can).
Be sure You have J6C champion plugs installed in Your engine, not the original J4.
Start with the idle mix screw 2,5 turn out. Run the engine at as low rpm as possible, adjust the screw in 1/8 turn at a time. When at the same throtle You reach the highest rpm, back off 1/3-1/2 turn.
Test the acceleration of the engine. If it hesitates, open another 1/8.
Do NOT do the running and adjusting on 'muffs'. Either in a barrel or the best on the boat."

"The orifice plug is the high

"The orifice plug is the high speed jet! It is possible that somebody messed with it ( too big ) and if this problem does not go away after checking / replacing the thermostat , than get a new high speed jet from a dealer!You have checked that you have good spark??"

"HI Morten & London Marine

"HI Morten & London Marine, thanks for your quick response, I’m living in New Zealand so I was pleasantly surprised to get such a quick reply when I checked here this morning.
I have already changed the Thermostat, but did not do the Impeller as there seemed to be a good flow of warm water coming out of the back, but I will probably add this to my list.
I have NKG BS7 plugs fitted, which I’m not sure if they are supposed to be equivalent or not, so I will change them anyway.
The spark looks ok, but I will get hold of a spark tester to verify this.
How much smoke would I expect from a bad spark? I’m getting large amounts of smoke even at running temperature.

London Marine, you say that the part I described as the orifice plug (P/N 328546 ORIFICE PLUG 72D 1 - $7.21 on the Crowley Marine website) is actually the main high speed jet.
Can this jet be adjusted? It has a slot in the end for a screwdriver (probably for removal) but it doesn’t seem to want to turn and I’m afraid I might damage it if I try too hard.
As I have already changed everything else in the carburettor plus the Thermostat, so I’m guessing that this is my next port of call.

Incidentally, how much smoke would you expect from an engine of this age, this one is making enough to be an embarrassment when launching from the jetty."

You need a plain screw driver

You need a plain screw driver with a 5mm shank or 0.190"/ 0.200" to turn that out.It is quite possible that some one messed with it.The jet has a 1/4"-NC thread so if you are/ know a machinist it should all be easy to do.Change the jet than re-evaluate the smoke issue. What oil are you using?

"first off........none of u hi

"first off........none of u highly trained marine technicians,...have mentioned,.that that float level,...is waaaaay off,......and totally unacceptable??....."

"The float level is bent up so

"The float level is bent up so high because I was trying to reduce the fuel level in the chamber in order to make the mix leaner (still lots of smoke however).
Does anyone know what those holes are for in the brass tube (which I thought was the main jet).
I assumed that they there for pulling air into the tube to mix with the fuel and therefore if the fuel level was higher than any of these holes, more fuel than air would be sucked in resulting in an over rich mix.

The oil I am using is ‘BP Hitide 2i’ 2 stroke outboard engine oil."

"Kevin, I think that you are l

"Kevin, I think that you are looking for problems that you simply do not have.Put the float level / make sure the float valve is good and clean / Replace the high speed jet and go boating"

"Thanks London Marine, I will

"Thanks London Marine, I will replace the main jet as this is the only remaining thing I haven’t tried yet and the Float level doesn’t seem to make any difference if its level or tilted as in the picture."

The float SHOULD BE LEVEL!!! S

The float SHOULD BE LEVEL!!! Sorry but you may need to sit down and stop imagining problems.For example ALL THE FUEL GOES THRU THE HIGH SPEED JET and if the small gasket is in place then that NOZZLE does not dip into the fuel too far etc etc.

"As I said ALL the fuel must g

"As I said ALL the fuel must go thru the highspeed jet / orifice plug.So make sure, as in measure and calculate that the gasket " C " is in fact the correct thickness as it is the seal."

"Gasket ‘C’ is brand new as I

"Gasket ‘C’ is brand new as I had previously suspected that fuel could be getting sucked in past the old one (I have thoroughly checked for a good seal on the new one).
The Float is level again, all I need is a new jet and to give it another go."

Back